We can all play a part in preventing elder abuse in our communities. Here are 5 things everyone can do to prevent elder abuse this World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
1. Learn the signs of elder abuse and how we can solve the issue together.
2. Prevent isolation. Call or visit our older loved ones and ask how they are doing on a regular basis.
3. Talk to friends and family members about how we can all age well and reduce abuse with programs and services like law enforcement, community centers, and public transportation.
4. Sign up to be a friendly visitor to an older person in our communities.
5. Send a letter to a local paper, radio, or TV station suggesting that they cover World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (June 15) or Grandparents Day in September.